November 15, 2023
From: Security and Justice for Tigrayans (SJT)
Subject: A call for preparation for the Global Tigrayan Organizations Leadership Meeting
Dear All Leaders of Organizations in the Tigray Diaspora,
The Leadership of Security and Justice for Tigrayans (SJT) has been preparing discussion topics based on your opinions and recommendations addressed during the Tigrayan organizations leadership meeting on October 8, 2023.
Accordingly, we are sending along with this cover letter the basic ideas we discussed during our meeting, and we are confident that you will discuss the subject matter within your organization and present ideas that will bring all Tigrayan organizations together.
During our meeting on October 8, 2023, was recommended that SJT send a letter to all organizations asking to discuss the main issues indicated in the minutes in order to build consensus to nominate a team that can coordinate an assembly to bring all Tigrayans in the Diaspora together and focus on how to help the people in Tigray with issues they face. In summary how to:
- Focus on how we become united to work together and create (establish) a temporary platform to bring all Tigrayans in the Diaspora together to find solutions to the issues faced by the people of Tigray.
- Create /nominate a team that can coordinate an assembly to discuss how to establish a strong unity among Tigrayans, i.e. suggested to “Establish sort of acting Government in the diaspora”).
- Respect everyone, group, and organization’s own political views and affiliations and be governed by what the majority decides.
- Facilitate discussion with the Tigrayans in the diaspora on the ground (cities, chapters, communities, etc.) and focus on what needs to be prioritized. To strengthen the unity of Tigrayans in the diaspora, need to work using a bottom-up approach.
- Nominate/assign dedicated and skilled Tigrayans who can compete to coordinate Tigrayans in the diaspora globally.
- Prepare a working document defining the role of the Diaspora in the new independent approach – with short-, medium-, and long-term tasks.
Mahteme F Demewez (Ph.D.),